Friday, January 4, 2013

training 1.4.2013

Cube week 8, day 3 -- squat single

Gorgeous, crisp day here today.  For the second week straight, there is a huge southeast swell on, so the beach roads have been packed with hodads and their cars.  Been nuts.  Glad I don't surf anymore.

Started with B-Ala/creatine mix, lots of dynamic work (still should have done more) and a slow progression with the bar and weight.  Wore my strongest Jack briefs, EliteFTS super-duper knee sleeves, and eventually a Metal Ace suit that now fits pretty well.  A little tighter and it will be perfect. 

Ran the heater hard.  Fighting a cold, too; in my second day, so still have a sore throat and the whole mess.  Fairly clear-headed, though, so I figured today might be okay.

Worked up gradually and put on the suit at about 280kilos, straps down.  I'm still not comfortable with the straps up -- I think they're a little too tight, because they pitch my off balance in the hole.

Hit 340 kilos, straps down.  Same weight I got for a single back in August, last time I tested.  But back then I noted that depth sucked, whereas today depth was solid.  It was not easy, but I figure I might have had another ten pounds in me.  Brandon allows no failure, so I stopped at 748. 

I think that without a cold, another five kilos is possible.  If I can figure out my suit, with straps up, I suspect something pretty serious is likely.  Suit work is exhausting, so I need to take Big B's advice and work in it more often to get a feel for it, get comfortable, and get some confidence.

Either way around it, today was easy.  I mean it -- easy.  Loving this protocol.  The work is *not* easy by any means, but I feel really good about the progress I've seen.  As I've said before, my body responds well to volume, even at my ripe old age.  And even with a cold, I love the feeling that my head is about to pop while that weight comes up.

It is sad to think that I may not have a whole lot more time to be flirting with these numbers.  I mean, how long can I expect to squat in the 700s and bench in the 5s before I start to break down?  Not long unless I seek chemical assistance.  But in the meantime, I'm getting stronger all the time, and I'm good with that while it lasts.

Thanks for checking in.

1 comment:

  1. Tick-tock.

    Know that feeling all too well.

    Glad that things are clicking, momentum is building, and that you're moving forward - not sure that you can ask for much more.

    ReplyDelete