Saturday, January 16, 2010

Squat day

I've got to be on the other side of the county in a couple of hours, so I admit I felt a little rushed today. Still, I tried to take my time and do it right. I'm still sore from bench day two days ago -- I'd like some of that in these bird legs after today.

Had to start early this morning, so I skipped the Results since it was just after breakfast and I was still pretty full. Might be a mistake, but there it is. Used my Ace briefs and worked up to the leather belt.

It was a little chilly for SD this morning, so I started with the heater on. Lots of warm-up today, both dynamic and weighted.

Squat:

315 kg x 5 easy
335 kg x 5 not bad, though walkout was tough and I dropped a 5 kilo plate off one side on the re-rack. Felt a twinge mid-back on the left side, which didn't make me happy.
360 kg x 5 not bad at all. Stopped at 5 reps just because I was distracted by grooving on the tunes from my iPod and forgot to keep going.

220 kg x 5 sets of 10 reps

superset with

SLDL from a deficit with a lot on the bar x 5

I wanted to work on my hams and therefore went with the SLDLs.

I stopped the accessory work at three sets because I started to feel my mid-back problem. Rather than push through it, I wimped to avoid more problems. Maybe a mistake, maybe not -- we'll see.

Anyway, all in all a good day. I pushed hard, have the usual splitting headache, and don't feel guilty about cutting it short.

Now to go yell at 10 year old boys all day (last game today starts at 7:15 tonight. Nuts.)

Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. heavy weight bro, solid lift in short amount of available time. shows dedication to get one in.

    what all did you do for dynamic warmup? i like step unders/overs with a barbell and cossack squats. did them before deads monday and felt great, pulled a pr. skipped them before squat wednesday and tweaked my groin. still waiting for knot to disappear.

    good lift, stay strong. get stronger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Rob. Thanks for the comment.

    I follow a pretty standard routine of dynamic warm-ups from Magnificent Mobility, trying to get in at least four different moves primarily from the low-back and hip suite. I typically get enough lubrication of the joints from weighted warm-ups, but prepping my low-back in particular requires a little specific attention.

    If you want specifics, I'm happy to post them. I can't say enough good things about MagMo.

    ReplyDelete