Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bench day

Beautiful day today. I was dragging a bit going in, but had hustled home early to get under the weight. Looking forward to benching even though I've stagnated a bit.

I started with Results and I Spiked for some intensity. It's always a toss-up: Spike gives me an awesome rush but I always seem to puke in my Spiked workouts. I was pretty spun up by the time I got through warm-ups.

Used Convict elbow sleeves. I think my elbow/bicep tendon is ok, but I'm a huge chicken about testing it. I've tossed the baseball to the boy, but I haven't really thrown since I hurt myself. I threw him one hard curve this last weekend and it hurt badly, but I had no residual ache. Maybe I'm getting over it.

Bench with the fat bar:

185 kilos x 5 easy
195 kilos x 5 still easy
210 kilos x 5 not bad. Had a twinge in my right shoulder from getting out of proper path (too low), but no big deal. I cut it at 5 anyway rather than test it.

130 kg + a couple of orange shorty Elite bands on each side for lockout work x 5 x 10

superset with

Fat DB rows with a lot of weight x 5 x 12

I was sucking wind pretty badly the whole time. Not sure why, but I was. Didn't ralph but felt like I could the whole time, too. So it goes. I love the intensity, like I have to keep lifting.

I took the bands off for the last set of accessory benching and it felt super-odd. I'd get halfway up and thump up the rest of the way, as if there was some sort of stop halfway. Not sure how to express it -- when I got to where the bands would be pulling down hard, I raced up. Weird. Got the tricep work I wanted, though.

Elbow felt fine, shoulder feels fine, everything was fine. What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment