Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Squat day

It's been a tough year already and I went into the gym about as dark as the sky, which looks like it's prepping to storm. I wasn't at all sure what the lifts would hold, particularly because today was due to be a squat max day.

I love squatting. I've made more progress on my squat than any other lift over the last three years. Everything seems to be working right now, at least as far as developing my squat is concerned. I hit a monster on my last max day, so I went in expecting big things from myself. I also went in hoping the cloud over my head didn't take away from a big day.

I started with Results and SWF. Wore Ace briefs and moved into a leather belt after warm-ups. I didn't do all of my dynamic work, but did a fair amount of bar work.

Because my numbers have started looking gaudy, I'm not going to post them on squat days. I'll likely continue to post numbers for shoulders and bench -- not sure about deads yet. But until I put video up documenting the numbers, I'm leaving them off of squat reports. If there are no pictures, it didn't happen.

On that note, I found my cables and confirmed I have the right ones, so vid should come up soon.

Squat:

lots of warm-up sets, jumping 10% of max on each

lift #1 x5 very easy
lift #2 x3 ok, but not bad -- this was up another 10% of expected max
lift #3 x1 got one, but a true max -- never had this much weight on my back before. Blew capillaries in my eyes, saw stars, failed miserably on the attempted second rep, but got one to good depth and up.

210 kilos x 5 x 10

superset with

glute bridges I love those glute bridges.

After failing on the second rep of max, I stripped the bar on the pins to 210kg and squatted the bar up to rack it. In so doing, I felt a sharp pain behind my left patella; this often happens if I don't warm up and has never proven problematic in the long term, but it did make any squats sharply painful. So I cut the workout short after a couple of assistance sets. It was a max day and I hit my max, so I don't feel too guilty about it.

All in all, a good day. Not great, but good. I'll get the video up.

2 comments:

  1. look'n forward to seeing some of your lifts through video. good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed this when you posted; I'm just now catching up. I'll shoot you a link to my youtube channel for vids.

    ReplyDelete