Monday, January 23, 2012

training wk 4 day 1 1.23.2012

Rained hard here today -- San Diegans aren't used to that.  Makes for messy days, particularly on the roads.

Did a fair amount of dynamic work to start.  Spiked and dropped two Axcel, as I knew this one would be hard.

Did a lot of bar work to warm up and got to it.  Used elbow and knee sleeves, and that's it.

Squat, sets of 2 reps to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 95% of the last set.  Weight came up pretty easily despite my trepidation.  My setup in early sets was off somehow, and they consequently felt pretty heavy.  I added 10kg to the total from the last full squat day, so progress continues.  Frankly, I think I could have kept going up, but didn't want to grind one out with bench and deadlift still to come.

Competition raw bench, sets of 2 to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 77% AMRAP: added 10kg to this one too, which makes me very happy.  Lost the bar from the groove on my RPE=9 set and spent a huge amount of energy trying to save it, so my 77% sets was all of about 4 reps.  I can live with it.

Deadlift + chains, sets of 4 to RPE=9 plus one of 95%: added every chain I have and gutted these out.  By now I was sucking wind and sweating like a pig, so it was more about finishing than anything else.  Interestingly enough, the weight flew up, but I was pretty much cooked by this point and didn't do anything heroic to try for a new PR.

All in all, still very positive.  Structurally I'm good, loving the volume, and making progress.  Hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment