Friday, January 27, 2012

1.27.2012 training wk 4, day 3

Gorgeous, warm day today.  Had to be in the mid-70s all day, with a warm, dry breeze like a Santa Ana.

Holy cow, this session was hard.  That might have something to do with all the Rockitfuel I've downed over the last two days, including right before the session (along with some dope Ndure.)  I've got to find something else to call those things, despite the fact that I really, really like them both.  Neither has any carbs, which is perfect given that they both work for me.

Did a very little bit of dynamic shoulder warm-up.  Used elbow sleeves, knee sleeves, and light wrist wraps.

Deadlift, sets of 2 to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 95%: hefted up 20kg more than last time (10kg per side, which pleased me.  I'm still a way away from a PR, but at least I'm not losing anything.  I still view this as my weakest lift comparatively.  Got two smooth reps up and might have had another, but didn't want to push it.

I was feeling a little fried coming into the training session and wasn't sure how I was going to finish.  I did not feel differently at this point.

2-count bench, sets of 4 to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 95%: brutally hard, only got within 5kg per side of my comp bench of a few days ago.  Not sure why these were so hard, but I felt like I was constantly fighting to keep the bar in the groove.  Maybe I was not keeping my elbows in or something, but whatever it was wasn't working well.  The funny thing is, I was only 10kg total below the comp bench doing twice as many reps.  Thinking too much.

Squat, sets of 4 to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 95%: these flew up.  Not sure why, but I was all over this.  My squat is supremely confident now, and I am reasonably sure a PR isn't too far off.  Go figure.  I finished 20kg below my best recent squat doing 4 reps per set and felt that I had another jump up in me -- the weight was coming up quickly.  Pretty happy about it.  I stopped where I did because of a twinge in my neck that I caused by thinking too much again, driving my head back beyond where I needed to.  Just lift.

So, a good day.  Now to eat.  Have a safe weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment