Monday, January 16, 2012

Training 1.16.2012 week 3, day 1

Pretty wired at the moment -- just finished the session and am still jacked up with Axcel and half a Spike.  Around 8:00, I'll probably crash hard.

The sessions are getting more serious, with fatigue sets at 95% now.  Started with a bunch of water, a fair amount of dynamic work, and a fair amount of bar work.  I'm going to have to get more serious about foam rolling either before or after, as soreness is starting to follow me around like a puppy.  I'm already spacing sessions out so that I have a day between each, and I have no more room to give.  Time to start soft tissue work, I guess.

Used elbow sleeves for the bench and knee sleeves with the squats and DL.

Squat, sets of 3 to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 95%:  Increased the weight by 6% this time, which made me very happy.  The 95% set was no problem.

Competition raw bench, sets of 3 to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 77% AMRAP: hit a solid 265kg, which is very close to a PR if not one.  Got 7 reps of 410#.

2-count paused Deadlift, sets of 4 to RPE=9 plus 1 set of 95%:  This was just brutal after the squat effort.  I actually lifted 15% less than last time I did this # of reps of this exercise (5 sessions ago).  I don't feel bad about it, given the effort everywhere else.


The funny thing is, in the individual lifts I have lifted more weight than I do now but I've never felt stronger.  I guess I'm a Tuchscherer convert, and I'll definitely stick with him.  Even with the unimpressive DL, using the RPE=9 set weights, I lifted a raw total of over 1800# today.  Now, yeah, they were gym lifts and not comp, but with multiple sets and at my age that's downright incredible.  If I can bring up that DL with the other two efforts (and I have several weeks), I can score a legit elite as a masters competitor.

I can live with that.

Great night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment