Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 4 week 4

Another gorgeous day, though a little cooler than the last couple. Great day to get into the rumpus room and heft something. Had to get my wife's car from the shop since I work nearby, so I wasn't sure if I'd have time. Thankfully, they were done around 3 and I got on it.

Raced home, downed the usual elixir, and finished up a little work before hitting the weight. Wore briefs for the squats, Convict elbow sleeves, and knee braces for paranoia. Not sure why, but I wanted the security blanket. I kept them loose so they only assisted the two axons among the rocks in my head.

Rolled my tunes and headed out. Warmed up with a good amount of dynamic work for shoulders, hips, glutes, etc. Warmed up each exercise with the bar as thoroughly as I could. Second day of high intensity and low volume, so I was determined to hit it hard.

All exercises were three sets to positive failure, 5-7 reps only, 180 seconds between.

Military press, seated, fat bar: 3 x 7 reps with 170 kilos on the bar. Big jump this week -- felt seriously good. Nothing felt heavy until I got to about 165kg, so I added five and pressed seven reps on all three sets. Last set was tough. I'll start here next week and drop if I have to. Maybe five more kilos, the way I felt today. Seat was at 80 degrees (more/less).

Squat: 3 x 7 with 300 kg on the bar. Went back up with the weight and banged them out. Walkouts seriously suck even though I only walk a few inches back. Had my light on full behind me so I could judge depth on the wall without dropping my chin -- depth looked solid. I swear, so much of this is between the ears it's depressing. We'll see what happens next time.

About this time I noticed my left hand was on fire in the meaty part between my thumb and forefinger. Not sure why. Pulling off plates hurt pretty fiercely. Just tweaked something.

Tricep extension roll-outs: 3 x 7 with 35 kilos on the skinny DBs. These were too easy. I'll go up five kg on each next time, I guess. Hand didn't hurt at all. Big baby.

Good stuff today. I wish I was more consistent -- I never know what's going to happen when I go in. Keeps it interesting, I guess.

Great weekend, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment