Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 1 week4

After the last week of high volume, I was a little intimidated by what this week would mean. Lower volume and the rest goes back to 180s between sets can only mean pour on the weight. Less time under tension, so maximize the intensity of the time. That spells pain.

I was a little lethargic while getting dressed, but it went away once I started the pre-workout nutrition routine. Whatever the reason, I was nicely alert going in.

I started with Shelby's nutritional regimen and a little dynamic work. I wore my elbow sleeves and wrist wraps for the first three exercises. I warmed up carefully under weight with everything but the pull-ups.

Three sets each, 180s between, all sets to max at 8-10 reps with good form.

Pull-ups, fat grip, wide: 3 x 10 smooth, felt powerful after the first set. I hate warm-ups for pull-ups, so I tend to just jump in -- it takes me a set to get warm. Lucky I don't get hurt.

First set was +20, second +10, third +5. I'll go up in following weeks.

Floor press, fat bar: 3 x 10 with 120 kilos and a bunch of chains on the bar. Weight stayed the same throughout as I wanted a feel for the chains. I'll either add weight I can take off each set or take off a chain each set next time. I don't use pins and I'm on a pad, so there's no safety net -- I have to get the weight up each time. My only ace in the hole is a bitchin' arch if I have to bail out.

Hammer curl: 3 x 10 with 35 kilos on the skinny DBs. These are tough and I'm really paranoid about my biceps these days, so I don't know how hard I'll push their development. We'll see. I am getting stronger here, so...

Standing calf: 3 x 10 with 220 kilos on the bar. Smooth, though I'm still trying to find an easy way to manage balance on toes with that much free weight. I need to hang some straps from teh rack or something. Not sure.

All in all a good day. I feel it, even though I'm not as wrecked as I was after the five-setters with 90s rest. More intensity, less strain, I guess. Something like that.

Next time is front squats...

No comments:

Post a Comment