Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 3 week 6

Beautiful day. I still find I'm troubled for reasons I can't articulate, but I'm feeling pretty good all around.

Had a pretty good day at work, the nights have been around 70 here this week, and we had a great picnic on the beach a couple of days ago. It's been gorgeous. The rumpus room was warm but not sweltering, so I fanned it once I worked up a good sweat. Spring is here.

Started with the usual workout routine from Shelby. I've eased into each phase of this work with him pretty smoothly thus far and am really pleased. I haven't gained weight like I thought I would, but he's keeping me from lard-dom pretty effectively. I've leaned out and gained a few, which works for me pretty completely. So I down his pre/peri/post regimen without complaint.

Wore elbow sleeves and wrist wraps. Lots of Chevelle on the shuffle today, which also warmed me up. Warmed up with dynamic and bar work until pretty well lathered and set to it.

Each is three sets, 5-7 to positive failure, 180s between (generally -- sometimes I get eager to move on).

Rows: 3 sets x 7 reps easy. I dropped twenty kilos and added a bunch of chains set to leave one link on the ground at the top. Honestly, it might have made a difference in the final measure, but it was hard to tell while I was lifting. It's still pretty stinkin' heavy. I suspect my scapular retraction is incomplete, but less is too easy. Tough to find the sweet spot. Maybe I need a finisher. Maybe not.

Fly fat DB: 3 x 7 with monster weight. I backed off ten kilos total per DB and added JumpStretch Average bands with one twist around my back. I wanted a good squeeze at the top, but I think I just added instability. I've built up to so much weight with these that the DBs I used last week were just a little tough to control. I tried the bands to add pressure at the top and avoid too much potential for injury at the bottom. I think they didn't quite have the effect I was looking for. We'll see. If I'm sore tomorrow, I'll stick with them; otherwise, I may just go back to big weight. All in all, these were kinda easy.

Single-arm Scott curl: 3 x 7 x a bunch. These were too easy, but won't be when I raise the weight a little. It was very interesting how much less endurance my left arm had than my right, which I attribute to all the baseball throwing I've done recently. Not sure that has anything to do with it, but it sounds good to me.

Seated calf: Ironmind super squat belt and did standing calf raises with a bunch of weight on the pin. Legs a little wide to clear the plates, same weight as last time, got all 100 in one set. Bent over to 90-degree hip and did sets with toes in. Painful.

Extreme stretches after each. I might have wept. These are just a cruelty joke, but they work, so I do them.

Thrilled to get it in today. Supposed to have a date with my wife tonight if she's up to it; either way we'll have a nice night together. It sure is a blessing to be so happily married.

Got my concrete stone mold and accoutrement today, so a stone will be birthed this weekend. I'm pretty stoked, particularly after everything I learned from the first attempt.

Great day, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment