Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 1 week 6

In a bit of a funk today, feeling sorry for myself. Isn't that pathetic? I needed to get under some weight.

Days 1 are usually pretty easy for me -- the lifts aren't as comprehensively exhausting as days 4, which have rear squats and military press. I'm a waste after day 4 lifts. But I still figured I could get in some good pain.

Warmed up the usual way after the usual nutrition. Been grumpy all day, so it was a good time for some attitude adjustment. Wore elbow sleeves and wrist wraps. Warmed up slowly, particularly the biceps.

Pull-ups, fat grip, wide: 3 x 10 smooth, felt powerful again. First set was +25, second +10, third +5. Easy, beezy, Japaneezy. Or something like that. Felt good.

Floor press, fat bar: 3 x 10 with the same weight as last time. No change in reps, either, this time. Just no progress at all. In fact, these felt heavy largely because I was fixated on not crushing myself. Not sure why I was so fixated today, but I was.

Incline bicep curl
: 3 x 10 with 20 kilos on the skinny DBs. I decided to go with inclines and strict form this time to alleviate some of the pressure on my elbows and biceps tendons. I've thrown the baseball hard quite a bit the last two days and started to feel it in my right biceps, so I decided that strict form and slow, slow, slow reps would be the order of the day. Turned out to be a good thing. No pain, good sets, felt good, and was tough.

Standing calf: I put 50 kilos on the pin attached to my Ironmind Super Squat belt and did one set of 100 reps. I then bent over 90 degrees and did several sets of 10 reps as if on a straight-leg seated calf machine with toes turned inward. Could hardly walk after these. Maybe these bird legs will respond.

I've hopped around a few exercises to address issues with getting older, and they seem to be working. I continue to think the Super Squat belt from Ironmind is an awesome deal, too, and incredibly versatile. I did have issues with hanging plates from it for pull-ups today as the weights kept banging my knees. I'll have to figure out a way to control that or drop the weight below my feet. That sounds like a pendulum waiting to happen, but we'll see.

A good day. Still in a funk, but a tired one, which makes me considerably more manageable. I'm sure my wife will appreciate that.

Hope all have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment