Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bench day

I'm dragging a little today, though I know why. Lost a dog I was fostering last night -- something I told myself would never happen on my watch. He impacted his small intestine with some of my wife's lingerie and went from happy to dead in about three hours. Necropsy showed that three feet of intestine had died and he went septic. The rest was quick. My stepson is a wreck, as are we. We loved that dog.

Anyway, so I went into the gym in need of some pain. Had a little anger to work out, since most guys express anger when they don't know how else to express something. That's me.

Started with Results and SWF, both of which I've come to love. I've been feeling lately like my skin is tight -- sort of a constant bloat, though my body fat is down. Just getting bigger, getting bigger pumps in the gym, and progressing nicely. I love it.

Also wore my APT Convict elbow sleeves and APT wrist wraps. Wish I could remember if my Convicts were single or double ply; either way, they rock and my elbows are back to the business.

Warmed up with indian clubs and a fair number of reps of low-weight bar work.

Bench:
185 kilos x 5 a breeze
210 kilos x 3 still pretty easy
235 kilos x 1 got seven reps with one left in the tank -- another rep PR

140 kg + a lot of shorty bands x 5 x 10 varying grips

super'd with

fat DB rows with a lot x 5 x 12

I used the regular bar for the benching today -- honestly, it felt great. Everything felt great. For anyone that's lifted for a few years, I have to say 5/3/1 works for me and probably would for you if you keep the intensity up. I've finally seen progress in my bench after forever and a day. I'm thrilled.

On my last set with 140 kg + bands I did 17 reps. Not sure I had another. Pretty sure I didn't and didn't want to eat the bar, so I called it.

I think I'll raise my expected max by 5 kilos for the next cycle. Five may be too conservative, but it's been so long since I've seen progress that I don't want to get too ambitious. We'll see.

Shoulders and elbows were great. A great day. I'd say 550 as a goal for 2010 is reachable even though seriously ambitious. Gotta aim high.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment