Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 4 week 1

Gorgeous day here, but hot. Everyone else's snow wouldn't last the afternoon here.

Got up feeling a little under the weather this morning -- either some sort of sinus thing threatening or a weather front coming through. By the time I'd finished 80 grams of oatmeal-source carbs, I felt pretty good. Downed my prescribed malto/waxy/whey/Anatrop concoction and decided to get to it.

Day four is a lot like the rest, though the rep range is 8-10. Still 120s rest in week 1. But today includes military press and squats -- two of my favorites.

Wore my Convict sleeves for the duration, wore loose briefs as a security blanket, and wore APT neoprene wrist straps. I started with a lot of dynamic work for my hips and glutes in particular. I warmed up with the bar after dynamic for military and later for squat. I did not super-set anything today, but rather painted by numbers.

Seated military press: Seat at 10 degrees from vertical. Wasn't sure of the weight so I did my opening 5-rep weight from 5/3/1 for the first set -- 135 kg x 10. Too easy. Went up to 145 kilos and clobbered the second set of 10. Left it there and did the last set 145 kg x 10. Form started breaking down on the tenth, so I'll start higher next time. Maybe 150 or 155 kilos.

Squat: I'd usually end with squats, but I decided not to do two tricep intensive workouts back to back. Again, wasn't sure what I could do with good form ATG for ten reps, so I started with 220 kilos on the bar and clobbered it. I went up 10 kilos and nailed that for an easy ten reps. I went up another 10 kilos and, while the walkout felt a little heavy, felt great once I started the squat. I hit ten reps easily at 240kg. I'll start higher next time -- maybe 250 -- and try to find the sweet spot where I have to drop about 5% each to just get my reps in my range. Still, I felt great.

Rolling Tricep Extensions: Lying supine, DBs to shoulders and roll to ears, press to extension. Love these. At this point, tris were flagging. I used 30kg DBs (normal handles) -- no idea what the handles/locks weigh, but had 30 kilos weight on each. Each set was tough, so I might go up 2 or 3 kilos each next time and drop by 5% each time (if possible). I've got fractional plates, so I should be able to manage it without feeling like I'm using pink dumbbells or have to make big weight jumps.

Did extreme stretches for everything after the exercises. Also threw in some abs, which seldom warrant discussion. I typically do weighted ab work in sets of between 20 and 50, depending on the exercise. Wasn't it Spud that said strong abs make a strong man?

On the diet front, everything all of a sudden seems to be falling into place. Not sure why, but where I wanted to puke all the time a couple of days ago, everything is getting bigger (not gaining weight, though -- recomp) and I'm hungry all the time today. I love that. Even my loose briefs were tighter in the quads today than a just few days ago. Sweet! For all of you that take the time to read my drivel, Shelby is a wizard; I know I'm just getting started, but my wife is down 13 pounds and looks like a 28 year old (she's in her 40s). I continue to have great faith that I'll be thrilled with the outcome of this experiment.

Anyway, off to eat again. Great day, all.

2 comments:

  1. i am a fan of the rolling tricep extensions. good work man, always strong. inspirational bro

    ReplyDelete