Monday, February 8, 2010

Deadlift

I hate deadlift day. I think it's just because it hurts me so badly and I've made so little progress for such a long time. It's tough to sack-up and go in expecting big things when even on 5-rep day I expect serious pain.

I did not increase the weight in my DL this cycle at all -- the only of the four exercises in 5/3/1 that I didn't. I've got work to do.

Beautiful day. Wore my loose Viking Pro briefs for hip stability and used a Spud, Inc. DL belt once the weight got up. I find I use it more as a security blanket and for keeping my loose briefs up. I suspect I push against it more than I think, but I don't know.

Started with SWF and some dynamic work -- lots of hip mobility work and some quad/flexor/extensor work. I worked up gently with the bar with sets of less than ten.

Deadlift, regular 1500# bar from a 4-inch deficit:

245 kilos x 5 brutal -- popped capillaries in my eyes. What's up with that?
245 kilos x 5 yep, same weight, but a lot easier this time (huh?)
260 kilos x 5 still hard

165 kilos x 5 sets of 8 reps only did 3 sets

super'd with:

Glute bridges with 200 pounds on the bar -- these things are tough
Ab twists with a heavy med ball, legs straight and feet high

I stopped at 3 accessory sets to take it easy on my back pump. I'm still trying to figure out how much weight to use from that big a deficit. I dropped the bar and picked it again for the first two heavy sets; for the last, I let the bar drag me down and fired up as soon as it hit. I tried to keep from bouncing up.

The weighted glute bridges are the most effective glute exercise I think I've ever done. I love those things, though they're seriously hard with that much weight. The abs were easy.

All in all, not bad a bit. Signed up today to work with Shelby on packing on some mass and dealing with food boredom. I have great faith.

Great day, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment