Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 1 week 3

Gorgeous day. Wife's snowboarding at Big Bear Mountain with her company, so I'm here with the dogs by myself. I suspect she'll show once I cook dinner. It usually seems to work that way.

Today was the first day of my five set week -- every exercise to positive failure for five sets. Can't say I've looked forward to this without flinching. I know it'll be hard. First day is pretty easy, though.

I started with the usual pre/peri nutrition bit. I've even gotten used to that, what with about 60 ounces of liquids to down before I'm done. Started today hungry, too, so I have a lot to eat before I go to sleep tonight.

Did some dynamic work and lots of bar work before each exercise. Wore my Convict sleeves and wrist wraps for support. Grunted a lot, breathed some chalk, said a few unsavory things...

Pullups: 5 x 10 with a wide, fat grip, and no assistance. No weight either. Next cycle.

Floor Press: 5 x 10 with 200 kilos. I dropped 5% on the last set and still struggled. I also used my Fat Gripz on the last set so I wouldn't think so much about crushing my hands, which I'd already done a couple of times. These were hard today, but I think I'm making progress. I'll up the weight next cycle a little bit. I tried to keep my feet down and legs straight, but still arched on some reps between butt and shoulders.

Hammer Curl: 5 x 10 with 30 kilos on the skinny DBs. Got all reps, but my biceps were just on fire. The extreme stretching after this one just about made me cry. Still, I could tell I'm getting stronger with these, and I'll keep going with them until I stall.

Standing calf: 5 x 10 with 200 kilos. Still not a lot of weight for calves, but I'm starting to get more used to the movement off a step. Struggling to balance and move the weight straight up and down. Good work anyway.

Extreme stretches after each. Working down the last of my BCAAs and wondering where my wife is. Neither is ideal. Still, ended on a high note and feel good.

Good day, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment