Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 1 Week 1

Ok, so I contracted with Shelby Starnes, nutristud, to help me gain mass. I want to be huge without adding a ton of lard. How huge is huge enough? When I say so. I'd like to compete at a lean 220, so I need to be considerably more than that.

Anyway, so I started a nutritional and exercise regimen today that will change things. If nothing else, the exercise routine is a lot like Doggcrapp, which I did for about 18 months a few years ago. It means the first week is like a deload week -- I itch to do more but know I better enjoy the ease for now. Two weeks from now will hurt a lot.

So I warmed up gradually to find the weight that I thought would match the rep ranges I needed. I didn't do any dynamic work today, foolishly, because I was eager to get into it.

Anyway, I started with Anatrop and a True Protein custom mix of whey and maltodextrin that fits the ratio Shelby stipulated. Gotta love the waxy BCAA film. Actually, I don't mind it; it's kind of like sniffing ammonia -- it tells my brain and body that something's about to happen.

I wore Convict sleeves throughout.

Pullups: wide, fat grip x 3 sets x 12 reps easy
Floor Press: 155 kg x 3 x 12 easy; started weak and will stud up later
Hammer curls: 25 kg x 3 x 12 not so easy, actually -- something to work on
Standing calves: Stuck the 110s on and went with it, so 265 pounds x 3 x 12

It's been forever since I've worked calves, so I took it easy. I have a feeling I'll still be a cripple tomorrow.

Weight for every set was calculated to cause positive failure at between 10 and 12 reps.

Rest between sets was set at 120 seconds, but I got impatient and rested more like 90 seconds. First weeks always make me want to do more, but I understand why I shouldn't. In the meantime, I'll be careful not to hurt myself and will do as I'm told.

Today is a high carb day, too, which is a beautiful thing.

Looking forward to this.

1 comment: