Monday, November 30, 2009

Squat day

I love squat day. Love it. Used to hate it, now I love it. Not sure why things changed for me except that I started to believe I could lift more and the lifts started to climb. That and Magnificent Mobility made it possible for me to squat and DL pain-free. Can't tell you what a difference that makes.

Anyway, I was a little intimidated going into today's squat day. I've been hitting PRs this week and paying for them -- I've been anything but Mr. Excitement around the house on the evenings after my workouts. And I was in a hurry, as the Little Man is heading home with a buddy to put lights on the Christmas tree. Being in a hurry is a bad idea when piling weight on the shoulders.

So I resolved to warm up carefully and stop when I had to. Sometimes good sense wins out.

Dynamic warm-up and slow progression under the bar. Started with AtLarge Results, Biotest SWF, Metal Ace briefs, and loud music.

Squat:

300 kg (660#) x 5 Fairly easy
340 kg (748#) x 3 Ok. Easier than I thought it would be, but still saw stars

big break (several minutes) farting around with stuff

380 kg (836#) x 5 Massive PR. First over 800 and multiple reps. Huge.

200 kg x 5 x 10 superset with
leg curls as long as my attention would allow

I may have to stop posting weights after this, at least until I can get the video camera going and post some proof. Otherwise this is just a load. Either that or find a nearby comp sometime soon. Bad timing for that.

Just a huge week for me. Deload next week will be awful -- I may have to cheat and do the deload days back to back to get them over faster. At least until I start to wear down.

Squat and military both came up hard this week -- now to figure out my bench issues. Maybe I need a technique consult...

No comments:

Post a Comment