Thursday, November 12, 2009

Squat day

I love squat day. There's just nothing like it -- deadlift day doesn't compare. Not sure why, but squat day fills me with anticipation, eagerness, desire... it's just a day apart.

I got started fairly late, knowing it would go dark on me. I took a desk lamp into the gym with me so I could see to schlep weight, but I kinda liked the darkness.

I started with a dynamic warmup -- a little extra today, because I knew today would hurt. I downed AtLarge Results and Biotest SWF before and SWF during. No wraps or sleeves, but I wore my Metal Ace briefs for support.

After the warm-up:

Squat:
300 kg x 5 felt quite heavy. Made me a little concerned for the next two sets.
320 kg x 5 felt worse. Starting to worry. Just felt bitch heavy, even on the shoulders. The walk-out was a bit of a cha-cha.
340 kg x 5 Walk-out was fine and weight jumped up. Go figure. This is my pattern. 748# felt smooth and depth was passable.

200 kg x 5 x 10

supersetted with

Ham curls using bands x 10
Woodchoppers with strong bands x 10
Posterior deltoid work with light dumbbells x 12

Everything felt great. I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop, particularly after reading Strongman Bob's log and hearing of all his structural troubles. Getting old is relentless, and I'm feeling it. But less than I used to.

And yes, my head is going to split open. Wouldn't be a squat day without a searing headache afterward.

1 comment:

  1. My problems aren't primarily age-related, so don't worry too much.

    OTOH, that barking? That's the baying of the demon-hounds from hell chasing you down, Mojo. They never, ever let up.

    ReplyDelete