Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bench day

Woke up to rain -- first in over half a year. I love rainy mornings, and it pushed me over the edge into the rumpus room for some serious lifting. Or at least I hoped it would be serious.

I'm due for a bench day. I love bench day -- used to hate it with a passion -- even though I haven't moved up in weight in a long time. At all. As in I've been about to bust out my partial plates (quarter kilo and whatnot) just so I could feel like I was gaining ground. I took on heavy military pressing in hopes of hitting the sweet spot that would raise my bench. I can squat almost 800 pounds in briefs but can't get close to a 600 pound bench. Doesn't seem right, even though I have 40-something shoulders and elbows. Bitch, moan, complain, complain.

Elbow sleeves, Results, SWF, Metal 3-stripe wrist wraps. Decent warm-up and to the heavy stuff:

Bench:
180 kg x 5 not too bad
210 kg x 3 tougher, but not too bad
230 kg x 1 Got four reps -- rep PR

210 was tough enough I wanted two on 230. For whatever reason, I was through two before I noticed and the third was going up. Four was tough -- don't know if I had a fifth in me or not, so probably not (between the ears, at least).

All my heavies were with the fat bar. All that follow were on the Texas power bar.

245 kg x 5 x 10 with narrow grip and average reverse band (about 80# at bottom)

superset with

fat DB rows with 100# 5 x 12

The narrow grip sets made my right shoulder ache low, as in low on my anterior deltoid attachment. Strange place to ache. It was fairly deep, too, but not bad enough to stress over. I suspect it's just overuse on a heavy week. I was surprised how well I did with the narrows, because I thought my triceps would complain more than they did. Maybe my chest is the weak sister. Hmmm...

The Kroc rows were Kroc-ish -- I got 'em done. I think I need to shake this up too, as I've been doing them to do them and need to yoke up more. Maybe seated db cleans or something to hit shoulders and upper back hard. Need to do something.

All in all a good day. Got sweaty after a while, hit a rep PR fairly easily, feel pretty well worked but not crapped out. Got stuff to do today, so a good day.

Still working on cables for the vid camera. Gotta get evidence or be relegated to troll status forever. May just have to buy new cables -- no telling where my wife hid them.

No comments:

Post a Comment