Saturday, November 21, 2009

Bench day

I love bench day even though I've sucked at benching now for a couple of years. I don't think I've gained more than a handful of measly pounds in all that time. Frustrating. I still love the movement and the way it feels and makes me feel. The situation used to be reversed with deadlift, but I'm gaining slowly there. Oh well.

Beautiful day here. Just gorgeous. Looking forward to getting some stuff done. First, to get stuff done in my weight room.

Started with AtLarge Results, Surge Workout Fuel, and a breakfast of eggs and sweet potato hash browns. Fabulous. Thanks, Mom, for making a decent cook of me. My wife thanks you too.

Felt oddly energetic today. I was inspired by Tate's 1100 pound abs article this week and decided to rededicate my ab work towards squat gains. Figured I'd start on bench day (huh?). Why not?

To it:

warm-ups
Bench:
200 kilos x 3 easy beezy
210 kilos x 3 right shoulder twinged, but ok
220 kilos x 3 pretty easy, really. Felt a little heavy. I could have gotten a fourth and maybe a fifth.

130 kilos x 5 x 10 reps

superset with

Fat DB rows with 100# 5 x 10
Band abs with a couple of strong bands x 5 x 10
Grappler swings with an old beat-down barbell and 30 kilos on the business end 5 x 10

The grapplers kicked my butt a lot more than I thought they would. The band crunches didn't hurt much at all, which also surprised the crap out of me. My left arm was a lot weaker than right on the Kroc rows, which also surprised me.

The day was full of surprises. After all is done, I feel great. Just wish that bench total would go up.

No comments:

Post a Comment