Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 4 week 11

I'm Mr. Mom again this week and didn't have a lot of time to fit training in, particularly knowing today was Day 4. Squat takes time, if just to warm up to the proper weight. I usually jump 10% each warm-up set, but today made it 20%. It seemed to make a difference.

Started with AtLarge Results and the Shelby mix, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, eventually knee sleeves. I wore Ace briefs for the squatting.

Lots of dynamic work and a lot of bar work to warm up before getting to it.

All exercises were 3 sets of 5-7 with 180s between.

Military press, seated, fat bar: 3 x 7 reps with last week's weight. These felt heavy and my right shoulder was a little balky again. I got all my reps and felt stronger on the last set, but I'm tiring of questioning my right shoulder. I need to run an assessment to figure out whether I'm just whistling in the graveyard on this, because there's no substantive pain. It's probably just between my ears.

Seated french press: 3x7. Went up a few kilos with the straight bar in the rack. I liked it, but it's hard not to be paranoid about having a lot of weight supported by shoulders and elbows behind the head. Or maybe I'm just whining again. I'd still like a cable pushdown.

Squat
: 3 x 7. Went back up on the weight and repped out with 300 kilos. These felt super-solid, with depth quite good and the weight came up fast. I felt a little back twinge at the top, but I think it was from bouncing the weight from coming up quick. I pushed through it and felt no residual problems. I feel great about these. The walk-outs and re-racks sucked rotten eggs, though.

There's a used monolift in Huntington Beach for $2200 that I might have to go look at. I'd need a truck and maybe a beefy friend, but I'm not sure how I can pass up a mono for two grand. On the other hand, what will I do when I move if I don't have room for a home gym? Store it? My wife would have kittens. Might be worth it.

Great day -- thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment