Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 3 week 12

Awesome day. It's getting warmer, usual bluebird San Diego skies, work cranking along. Waiting for the other shoe to drop, I guess. No sense in that.

Been slacking for a couple of days to let my right bicep heal a little. I was throwing with the boys on Saturday when they started asking for more serious throws. Now that I'm pushing 50 I find that when I think I've warmed up, I'm about halfway there. I yanked one hard from about 250 feet out and thought my arm had fallen off. Actually cried out, which got some attention. Embarrassing. I'd been throwing some good junk, curves and slurves, which the boys love seeing. Not sure why that one hurt, but that was it for throwing hard and I spent the next couple of days paranoid. Turns out it didn't matter or two days and a lot of Advil was enough, I guess, because it didn't hurt at all under tension today.

Started with AtLarge Results and the usual Shelby mix. Today is a super-high carb day and we've decided to add fats to my super-high days. Been struggling with reflux and some lethargy, so we're adding in 15g fats per meal too. I have to say, I enjoy the tinkering.

Wore elbow sleeves and wrist wraps today.

All sets 5-7 reps, 180s between, all to positive failure (or worse).

Rows: 3 sets x 7 reps. Bench incline was back up to 45 degrees. Bar had 140 kg and I concentrated on a good scapular squeeze at each finish. Super-wide grip. I set the pins so that it was about a 2/3 rep just because I wanted to concentrate on the squeeze rather than the break from the pins. I think it made a good difference.

Fly fat DB: 3 x 7 with 65 kg and ran them to positive failure. I did sets until I failed, held the weight against my chest for ten breaths, and then ripped off another set to failure. I did this three times, so three full sets and three minor sets. I'm determined to hit the pecs. Only time I wish I had a cable tower...well, not the only time.

Single-arm Scott curl: 3 x 7. Went back up on the weight for these and they felt good. Not sure why some weeks my biceps ache and others are fine, but so be it. Everything felt great today -- no bicep pain, no elbow or shoulder trouble, no nothing. Go figure, but everything was solid.

Calf: Mixed things up by putting 400# (180kg) on the SSB and doing standing sets of 12 on 2X4s. Pretty tough. I think I'll alternate this with the other mode for a while.

Ab twists: Used the 10" stone (45#) for these and did three sets of 50, same as always. Might have to do more or make a heavier stone -- if I add lead, I can get about a 65# stone at 10 inches, which would be pretty cool.

I'm still trying to figure out why everything felt so good. I'll be done with that figuring pretty soon and having a beer in honor of Bob, because it doesn't matter. Fact is, everything worked and weight went up. Thanks to Mom and Dad for the great genetics, I guess, because I'm managing to move a lot of weight almost halfway through my natural life without being totally jacked up. Not sure what'll happen ten years from now, but at least I should total elite by then.

Anyway, no vids today because I'm a lazy bastard. I bribed the boy to help me set up for vids this weekend just so I'd have to do it, so I'll follow through with that promise someday. Stay tuned.

Great day, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment