Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 4 week 9

Another gorgeous day after a little rain this week. In a town that gets 12 inches of rain each year, a little clouds are welcome to break up the monotony of perfect weather. That said, I'd leave California in a moment if I could -- too many nuts.

Really, really needed training today. Just needed weight for my mental health. I'm sure you know. I knew today would be tough, but I feel pretty good. Been sleeping for crap lately and am draggin' a lot, but still...

Bodyweight is up this week again. Eating ravenously, but the gains are microscopic. Not sure what to make of it -- certainly not Shelby's problem, and I'm sticking to the plan pretty stringently. On super-high carb days I eat over 2.5 pounds (yes, pounds) of carbs alone and yet don't gain weight. Most don't realize what that takes until you consider that I eat ten meals a super day with at least 125g carbs, and four cups of breakfast cereal is about half a meal's worth. My caloric intake is frightening, particularly for a guy pushing 50. But genetically I'm not even halfway to the grave, as everyone in my family lives to eclipse 100. I'm still a pup by familial standards. Anyway, I'm celebrating even one pound gains in bodyweight when others gain just by hearing about what I eat.

Started with the usual nutrition, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, eventually briefs (squat) and knee sleeves.

Lots of dynamic work and a lot of bar work to warm up before getting to it.

All exercises were 3 sets of 5-7 with 180s between.

Military press, seated, fat bar: 3 x 7 reps with last week's weight plus five kilos per side for the first set, then down the 5kg. Seat was at 80 degrees (more/less). Again I did these in the rack with pins set low so I at least have a bail-out that's not my lap. Still keeping them strict and hit five reps each set. Pretty sure I can't go up next week, but I'll try to make more reps and more sets with the extra five.

Seated french press: 3x7. Raised the weight a couple of kilos again just to keep gaining. Got all 7 reps each and could stand to go up for the first couple of sets next time. Elbows felt great, so I might go up again next week. I feel these in the lateral head in particular. Might not do much for benching, but it'll beef up the horseshoe.

Squat
: 3 x 7 and up another 5% from last time. I'm about ten kilos per side from a weight PR, which is a little scary. I hit seven reps each set but the last, all with the same weight. On the last set I was at five reps and the weight slipped off my delts and I dumped it. After I convinced myself that my elbows were ok, I just stopped and left the rumpus room. I never leave the weight on the bar, but I figured the juju was bad enough that I'd best just leave. At those weights a lot of my success is between my ears, and I was feeling a little wimpy all of a sudden. Better not to risk anything for two reps. So I walked. First time I've dumped in as long as I can remember. Nothing is hurt, so I chalk it up as a good session regardless.

I'll post my youtube channel info here when I get vids up next week.

Great day. Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment