Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 2 week 9

Gorgeous day today. My wife is out of town visiting a sister who is ill and my stepson is at his dad's for the weekend. He had a ballgame this morning, which they won fairly easily. They're now 12 and 1; in a league of eight teams, it's a two-horse race that they're leading at the moment. Their stats are fairly gaudy, which is surprising since there are only one or two real stars on the team.

Anyway, had the day to myself after the game to be filled with lifting and eating. Sweet. Strongman Bob's workout got me fired up to do some serious damage; even though he's only got a couple of years on me, he works through a lot more pain and adversity than I do. Inspires me.

Today's a super-high carb day -- the kind that makes most people gain weight by talking about it. I even get to have fun on super-high days. Can't let Shelby know how much fun, though. Weight was up two pounds this week. Slow but sure.

Started with the usual nutrition and a serious insulin spike. Wore loose briefs, knee sleeves for the squats, elbow sleeves throughout, and wrist wraps for the first two exercises. Warmed up with a lot of dynamic work and the usual weight work. Pounded through it.

Gironda swings: 3 sets of 10 reps with 25# DBs. The DBs were skinny -- these are brutal enough without the fat DBs. Anyone want to know about the form, let me know. I decided to switch up to these just because the 60-rep laterals were boring me to death. They're tough but boring. These were very hard. Finished off with heavy band work just to sap the last from my delts before moving on. Honestly, I just grab the band with hands about six inches apart and open my arms out wide completely.

Skullcrushers: 3 sets of 10 reps with the EZ curl bar this time. Raised the weight again a little, took the reps super slow, and elbows and shoulders felt great. Everything ached afterward. Perfect. I used the angle bench set at it's lowest setting, so my angle was maybe 30 degrees -- just enough so I was looking up a little.

Front squat: 3 x 10. Set up the pin with six 50-kilo plates and ran them to the floor below parallel from a pair of six-inch platforms. Feet are wide. These felt remarkably good, though I broke a blood vessel in my left calf and now have that itchy burning pain that comes with it. I noticed with the raise in weight I lean forward a little to keep the belt on my narrow hips. May need to tighten the belt a little to stop that. Still, no knee, hip, or back pain.

Finished with ab twists with the 45 pound stone. Did several sets until I was sucking serious wind. It's funny that I dread these and yet love them while I'm doing them. Took pics afterward.

All weights go up next week. Feel good about that.

Got work to do this afternoon around the house -- need to make sure my wife comes home to a neater place than she left. If you saw her, you'd know why I'm totally whipped and man enough to admit it. Will work on video issues while I'm at it.

Hope all have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment