Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 3 week 8

Sleepy today -- super-high carb days drag me down. I don't think that's normal, but 'normal' is seldom used to describe me. Warm day, too.

I started with the usual swill, wore sleeves, wrist wraps, and a frown. Warmed up with a little dynamic work and a lot of bar work. Did a lot of rearranging too, since the gym isn't re-sorted yet since the flood. Some worked, some didn't.

And I got to it. All sets 5-7 reps, 180s between, all to positive failure (or worse). Extreme stretches afterward except biceps -- for some reason I forgot even though my biceps were on fire. Go figure. Getting old.

Rows: 3 sets x 7 reps. I stuck with last week's weight and added a bunch of chains set to leave no links on the ground at the top. I got seven each set, though it wasn't easy by any measure. Used a band finisher at the end from several angles to burn off anything left in my upper back.

Fly fat DB: 3 x 7 with monster weight. I kept the same weight as last time and was a little afraid of it, which is never good. Got seven on all three sets with control, but getting it up was an adventure. Not sure what I'll do from here, as the bars can't hold much more. I could move to a screw-type collar and go up another plate each end, but I'm not sure how I'll control it without a spotter and without hooks to lift them off a barbell in the rack. I need to make those hooks, because I love the fat dumbbells.

Single-arm Scott curl: 3 x 7 x a bunch. I stuck with last week's weight and pumped them out slowly. Felt great.

Seated calf: Ironmind super squat belt and did standing calf raises with a bunch of weight on the pin. Legs a little wide to clear the plates, same weight as last time, got all 100 in one set. Very tough. I'd tweaked a knee a little deadlifting the DBs on the flys and felt it when getting into position here. I lived. Nothing a little bourbon can't fix.

Ab twists: Used the 10" stone (45#) for these and did three sets of 50. Still very hard.

A good day, but could have been better. I torked a lot during the rows, trying to wake up. Felt like my blood pressure was high all day. Just a little off. Better next time.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment