Wednesday, November 6, 2013

training 11.6.2013

Gorgeous day.

Ndure, extra creatine, Athletic Greens, elbow wraps, wrist wraps, liquid grip, dynamic shoulder work.

The volume is still described as moderate and is starting to get a little intimidating for someone who has followed powerlifting protocols for years.  This is borderline Sheiko-esque.  I like it, but I worry that I'll be beaten to crap in a few weeks.  Might have to throw a deload in there somewhere.

Incline press: 3 warm-up sets to work sets of 10, 8, 6, and 6+drop weight for 6+drop for 6; 4 work sets, but the last set had 18 reps.  This was pretty tough for a starter even though I used my work weight for 12 reps from last week to start.

Incline barbell press, 4x6, no lockout: had to use the Smith Machine, as there is no rack in the smallest gym in the West.

Flat bench, wide grip (past the knurling), 3/4 rep off the chest, 3x15.  Wow, things were starting to get tough.

Stretch pushups off of DBs on end, full ROM deep, 3xfailure; first set had them too narrow and triceps died first; following sets I set up wider and hit the chest, got a few more reps.  Still only about 10 reps each -- getting gassed.  Did band over-and-backs x10 between each set, so 3 work sets plus 3 band sets.

Dumbbell read delt raises, 3x10 plus band O/Bs between.  Was using 45s and needed more weight.  Next time.  The O/Bs were starting to get tough by this point.

Machine overhead press, neutral grip, 4x12 plus O/Bs x10 between; flex hard at the top.  Dying about now.

Ultra-wide military barbell, 3x12, hands as far out as possible, lower as close to the chest as possible.  This ROM hurt my right shoulder just a little bit, though I think I let it glide forward a bit, which is a no-no.  If I limit ROM to just below the chin, no such trouble, but suddenly the reps are easy.  Barely used any weight at all -- these are just brutally hard.  I get the funniest look, big as I am and pumped up by this point, unable to do much of anything with these.

DB rear delt destroyers: these are a Meadows thing, and the name is apt.  Lie on an angled seat, face to the pad and do rear delt swings, 60 reps/drop 50% + 30 reps/drop 50% more and 10 reps.  So 100 reps with two drops by half.  Honestly, the last set was pink weight.

Did a pec cable-cross finisher and left.

Some guy flipped me off on the way home after he badly, blatantly cut me off.  If someone does something stupid and apologizes, I drop it immediately; if they flip me off (or act like it was my fault), I basically digest myself thinking of ways to make their lives miserable.  I need to lose that.  What worries me is that we have lost a sense of politeness as a society -- we seldom own our own faults and errors, even though these people have to know.  Or do they really feel so entitled that endangering other people is just part of being who they are?  I worry, particularly for guys like that when they run into someone who isn't as bound by a moral code or upbringing as I am.  Thanks Mom & Dad.

Thanks for taking the time.

1 comment:

  1. Agree completely about the decline of good manners. A college roommate's mother used to call it "poor breeding", but I think it's the general trend of things, partly facilitated by the anonymity offered by social media. People say what they want without considering repercussions, both to others...and to their own souls, (so to speak).

    Regarding road rage...my husband occasionally bikes to work. That terrifies me.

    ReplyDelete