Thursday, October 24, 2013

training 10.24.2013

Gorgeous day today.  I would normally bask in it, but it's a leg day.

Ndure, Athletic Greens, some dynamic work, and a fair amount of bar work to warm up.  Knee sleeves for most.

Went to a different gym today, but went at noon and it's right across the street from a hospital.  Nevertheless, it wasn't bad and it has things the tiny place I went two days ago doesn't.  Nice to have options.  Plus it is no farther than the cavalcade of stupid I went to the past two weeks.  Good.

To it:

Barbell SLDL: 3 warm-up sets, continuous tension, work up to a good weight for 6 reps and do 3x6 with that weight.  Liked this, though felt odd doing them first.  Guess it's not that different than doing the GHR first before squatting.  Worked up to three wheels plus a little.

Leg press with bands:  I really don't like leg press machines just because they are hard on the lower back.  I will have to find either a different apparatus or tinker with the back angle until it is okay.  Each rep today, particularly if high-force, made my lower back tingle, which I assume to be a bad sign.  No lingering pain, but not the kind of thing I really like.  I used doubled average bands and a few wheels, concentrated on getting as deep as I could without lifting my back off the pad, and gutted them out.  I could hardly walk afterward, which is unusual for me on the LP.  The bands make life tough.

Hack squat: Couple of sets to warm up the knees, put the feet where I like them, and did a set with a good work weight that was rock bottom deep with a pause at the bottom of each rep.  Then did another set, followed immediately by two drop sets, both 8 reps.  Wow.  I didn't drop much weight -- maybe 5% -- and these clobbered me.  24 reps total, two work sets.

Step-ups, used a barbell over the shoulders, and made sure each rep got a good glute stretch.  Came down under control -- no ballistic steps, no ruptured Achilles tendons.  Did one leg at a time, 2x10.

Hamstring curls: used a machine (not sure which vendor), 2x25 with moderate weight, and stumbled out of the gym.

Great session, totally fried, expect soreness.  Wow, this was pretty tough and it is a low volume week.  Yikes.

Have a good week, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment