Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 1 week 17

Ok, so week 17 was two weeks coming. Turns out my squat PR two Sundays ago earned me a partially torn vastus lateralus and extraordinary pain. Two nights after the session I awoke with spectacular pain and spent four days on narcotics just trying to sleep. A price we pay, I guess, particularly when you get to be my age. First real breakdown, too. So it begins.

Started with Shelby mix and Results. Man, I love that stuff.

Wore sleeves for the pullups, wrist wraps for pullups and bench, and changed the order so bench would come before curls.

All sets were 8-10 reps under control to positive failure.

Pullups: 3x15 reps +45#
These weren't too bad. I warmed up with a monster green band tied to the top of the rack, just to get blood flowing before lifting myself. I found I was a little skittish about everything, maybe scared of doing more damage. Shouldn't have been, but a lot of what we do is between the ears. The reps were smooth and the last few of the last set were brutal.

Bench: 3x10 reps 230kg
The first set was smooth and strong and I thought I might get off easy. I put a monster mini between my wrists for feel and kept my elbows tucked for all reps. The third set I only got 8 reps, which was fine. My shoulder was a little achy, but no real pain or weakness. Fine.

Incline Curl: 3x10 reps 60#
These were pretty hard. The first set was relatively easy -- should've started higher and dropped each set, but didn't. Still paranoid of my biceps, though no pain or tightness at all. The last set I only moved 6 reps cleanly. No swinging, slow reps -- felt good about the whole thing.

Calves: 3x50 SSB with some weight
Tried to keep these smooth. Did them all off a 6" platform and worked on full ROM. Light weight -- wasn't sure if my quad would yip. It didn't.

All in all, a great return to sanity. I'll try to keep it under control, as I'm not supposed to strain my quad for a month. We'll see how that goes.

Hope all are having a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment