Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 2 week 18

Warm morning in Sandy Eggo. Bluebird skies -- awesome day, if a little humid for around here. Nothing like Houston/Orlando/Atlanta/Nashville/Baltimore kind of humid, though. If I ever move back, I'm sure it'll be a harsh reminder.

I used Results and the Shelby mix per usual, no Spike.

Wore elbow sleeves and wrist wraps for the upper work. Warmed up with dynamic work and bar weight before each. No shoulder trouble this morning, so I stuck to the normal routine for warm-up, getting on a good sweat and some heavy sucking wind.

All exercises were 3 sets of 8-10 with 180s rest between, all to positive failure.

Shoulder work: 3 sets of 10 reps with 35#. Held each rep at the top and worked to avoid swinging at the bottom. Shoulders felt fine and reps were tough after so much time away. I polished with...

Snatch: 3x8 w/ about 50# chain with the handles on. No pause to press -- straight over without using legs.

Kroc rows: 3x8 with 70kg fat DB. These were not at all easy this week with 10 more kilos. These even made my grip sing, for some reason. No straps, though, ever with fat DBs.

Narrow Grip Bench Press with the regular bar: 140 kilos x 3 x 10 Added 10kg per side, kept elbows tucked, and gutted them out. No shoulder pain to speak of and no weakness. The first two sets were smooth, the last a bit rougher. The last rep was a gut check. Really cooked my triceps today, though. Funny how some days they seem to work better than others -- surely form vagaries.

SSB box squat to parallel: 3 x 10. Set up a squat box at parallel and did these with the Mastadon rather than the SSB. Put 220 on the mast and watched form carefully. Humbling to have less than I'd just used with NGBP, but I stuck to the program. Perceived effort was about 30% -- still very easy -- but I wanted to get some weight on. Plus my scale has been dipping south and I can see an honest 6-pack -- that stuff's gotta stop. Don't squat, lose weight in all kinds of places. Not good.

Anyway, kept my knees wide, watched form, felt awesome. Sucked wind badly, but so what? Had a hard time not dropping my head to watch my left knee, but found a way. Banged out three sets easily and ended happy.

Great day back under the weight. Very happy, mostly because I went up on almost everything, got a lot of work in, sweat a lot, and got weight back on my shoulders. Very happy.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read you're squattin' again, buddy. Way to push it, but push it intelligently - that's key. Sorry to read that you're still a skinny man at heart. I drove past a Krispy Kreme on my way to a client the other day, and gained 4lbs just breathing the atmosphere for 10 seconds.

    ReplyDelete