Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 4 week 17

Warm day, though nothing like the rest of you. Mostly sunny today -- gorgeous. Had the fan going pretty hard in the rumpus room.

Today would normally be a squat day, and I've approached it with a little sadness knowing I can't squat. Two weeks ago this day robbed me of a month of squatting.

Started with AtLarge Results and the Shelby mix, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps. No Spike, no Tork, no knee sleeves, no briefs.

I did a lot of dynamic work and a lot of bar work to warm up before getting to it. My right shoulder was once again unhappy with the military work. I suspect I have something floating around in it.

All exercises were 3 sets of 5-7 with about 180s between.

Military press, seated, fat bar: 3 x 7 reps with last week's weight. I felt really strong today, as though I should have pushed up. Unracking the bar is tough without a spotter to help, so I'm always a little afraid of it. I set the pins to avoid killing myself, but I could still drop it on my face and effectively rake my face off. This is around 400#, so every movement is slow and deliberate out of respect. It sure would be nice to have a monolift so that I could drop the weight straight out.

DB tricep press: 3x7 reps I used my 30kg DBs with skinny handles and did simple presses with no swing and no roll. Elbows stayed tight and straight and everything worked well. In fact, it was too easy, so I'll start pushing the weight higher next time.

Squat
: 3 x 10 reps goblet squats with the 50# stone. I need a 100# stone, I think. These were smooth and easy -- I just wanted to practice form and balance without a lot of weight. Still struggling mentally with doing essentially nothing, but it felt good just to move the right way again. Maybe I'll move to overhead squats for torso work.

Thanks for all your well-wishes with the injury. I'm finally pain-free and sleeping again, not taking anything at all. I'm two weeks post-tear, so maybe three weeks and I'll start slowly adding weight back in off the back.

Hope you all have a productive weekend. Work hard and do something you can be proud of.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're healing up nicely, Mojo. I'm happy for this.

    Mentally, yeah, it's tough. Tough as hell. I went for about a whole year not being able to squat over 135 due to my back injuries.

    You've made a landmark: not having to taking painkillers is huge. Congrats on quickly getting to that point, and for using your brain to make sure you got there.

    Your approach, as always, is enviable; your methodology is sound. Success is yours, brother.

    ReplyDelete