Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 3 week 18

Week 18 is turning into month 18. Work is crazy busy and I can't dodge it, so I'm likely going to have to go back to morning workouts. I quit morning before because I can lift more in the middle of the day or afternoon, mostly because of back loosening. So be it. I can't be doing this twice a week workout bit, so here come mornings.

Warm morning this morning - a bit muggy for SD. Started with AtLarge Results and the usual Shelby mix. No Spike, no Tork today. For whatever reason, intensity was super-high going in.

Wore elbow sleeves and wrist wraps.

All sets 5-7 reps, 180s between, all to positive failure (or worse).

Rows: 3 sets x 7 reps. Bench incline was 50 degrees. Raised the weight 10 kilos again. Pulled as smoothly as possible to a pinch and got three sets of 6 reps. I feel good about this. Not sure why it seemed harder today, but I got 'em and closed with failure. So I'm happy.

Chain snatch: 3 x 8 reps with about 60# chain in each hand with the handles. I did these in superset with the rows, flowing from low to overhead smoothly without yanking or any leg or back help. Held each rep at the top for a beat. Just felt great in the upper back.

Fat rope reverse rows: Used the 2" rope over the monkey bar, laid back until almost on the floor, and did rows. Couldn't do Ts, so just rows. Upper back was screaming after the snatches. Did three sets of 10 in quick succession -- maybe 60s rest between if not a little less. Just polish.

Fly fat DB: 3 sets with 75 kg this time and ran them doggcrapp style again. Got 15 reps first set, 12 second, 8 third with a ten (deep) breath rest between sets. Felt good about this. No real pain in the right shoulder and neither elbow barked. Good stuff.

Fat rope drag curl: 3 x 8. Again I used the two-inch rope looped around the handle of one of my fat DBs with 75 kilos loaded and did drag curls. Not sure why I did 8 reps this time, but I did. These were tough today, and the last set was painful.

Calf: Threw the two chain sets I'd used for snatch over my shoulders and did 3 sets of 50 rep sets off the platform. Did all three sets with weight and calves were screaming, so I guess 120-ish pounds was ok.

Travel baseball starts tomorrow and I'm helping, so I'll be back to throwing tomorrow. Gonna have to take extra time this year warming up, as I don't want the biceps tendinitis again.

Bought an early Blazer to work on with the kid. Seriously stoked. The guy put all the money into the engine and it's a Cali Blazer (read: no rust), so we've got a great platform to work from. We'll def redo the interior and put in a banging stereo, and the thing may never see its top -- this is California, after all. Nothing like a beach-mobile with a thumper and big horses. In four years, after he puts some serious sweat equity into the thing and likely some money of his own, it'll be the kid's. Shoulda seen his face when I told him -- dinner plates for eyes. He's chuffed in a huge way. I may have to detune it before I give it to him though, as it has a 385 stroker with gear drive built by the guy who builds engines for Ivan Stewart. Yeah, that Ivan "Ironman" Stewart. The engine alone is worth more than I paid for the thing. It'll literally smoke the 35" Cepeks it has on it with ease. Should be a lot of fun.

Have a great day, guys. I'll be in the garage if you need me.

1 comment:

  1. Look'n forward to your increased strength that will come with more consistency

    ReplyDelete