Sunday, January 16, 2011

Squat day, smolov day 1 week 2

This lifting took place yesterday. It was a gorgeous day, downright hot, and the rumpus room was about 85. I sweat like a pig and loved it.

I started with Results and Shelby mix, drank MGPM (1/3) per instructions just prior to lifting and drank the rest during. I don't know whether the stuff helps anything, but it's carbs and protein to which I add a bunch of maltodextrose. I have to say I like it. The taste is fine (reminiscent of a blender shake -- oats) and I feel good when I use it. Not as hungry while training.

Used my loosest briefs, knee sleeves, EFS leather belt. I wore Nike Frees today because they were more available.

I warmed up with a lot of dynamic work for quads, hips, and glutes, did a bunch of step-ups to start activating everything, and warmed up quickly with the bar -- my jumps were well over 10%...more like 20% or 25%. Usually it's the last 10% that get me going anyway, so I'll do a bunch of reps with next to nothing (200# or less) to get everything greased and get up to weight quickly.

Squat
4 sets of 9 reps with day 2 weight from last week.

Weight goes up around 10-20# each week in Smolov. 10 pounds seems silly with kg plates, so I usually go with 10kg or 20kg increases. This one was a 20kg hop. I had thought I might have to back that down to avoid ugliness, but today convinced me not to worry about it. It's just those walkouts that I love so much.

Honestly, the weight on the shoulders isn't bad. If I have a good belly full of air and keep my chest up, I'm fine. If not, my low back and obliques complain a little, and that makes me start thinking. Thinking is bad. I usually re-rack and reset at that point. None of that this time.

I drop down into the hole slowly until at least one side hits a pin and then come up immediately, as smoothly as possible. Everything worked like a champ. No video today because I was recharging the camera battery, but I'll get it up next time (now tomorrow).

Anyway, these were pretty easy, all told. Color me surprised. Sets were 180s apart.

While squatting, I did sets of assistance work:
Step-ups three sets with chains over the shoulders
Bradford presses I had something like 40 kg on a regular 1500# bar. Check out elitefts.com exercise index and see Julia Ladewski show how it's done.
Curls yeah, I know. I did really heavy one-arm curls just because. Because Wendler told me to in his 5 Ways article last week. Because I was looking for an excuse? Because I was never a frat boy and want to know the experience? Whatever.

My body weight is still pretty much the same -- within a 5 pound variance -- but I can tell my legs are bigger since starting this. The briefs fit differently. Not sure what to do with that. I'm all for leg size increases, despite the clothing/wardrobe issues that presents. But body weight staying put is odd. Something else is being eaten. Gotta increase the calories again.

It was a gorgeous day. I didn't post yesterday because I had to hustle out for a date night with my wife, which was deliriously awesome. Anyone in the area ought to try out Blue Fin Sushi in Encinitas. Great experience. Chef wouldn't take any of my sake, though -- something about booze and sharp knives. Wimp.

Have a great day. Today is full of baseball for me; next session is tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment