Sunday, January 2, 2011

Military press, 5 rep + smolov day 2

Cloudy today -- supposed to get more rain for the next two days. Guess it's rolling in.

Started with Results, Shelby mix, MGPM. A tutti-fruttipalooza. All I needed was to add grape BCAAs and I'd have likely had Carmen Miranda hallucinations. BCAAs are one of those things I can't tell do anything at all. Bad combo -- tastes like ass, costs money, no apparent benefit. They tell me BCAAs are the bomb.

Did a modicum of dynamic work and a lot of bar work for warm up. Had the sweatshirt and heater rolling again. Brings back bad high school memories.

Wore neoprene wrist support for military press and chins. Wore loose briefs (not feeling so loose today, though that's probably in my head) and knee sleeves for the squats with my EFS leather belt.

Military
120kg x 5 easy
135kg x 5 still easy
145kg x 5 again, easy

Chins with all my chains, three sets to fail

Set the chain height so that two links were on the ground when hanging, so almost all of the pull up was full-load bearing. As I mentioned before, I'm doing these with all the chains I have, which amounts to a 2Xbodyweight chin. Not great, but better than many.

Smolov squat, day 2

240kg x 5 sets x 7 reps to below parallel, same setup as yesterday

Felt surprisingly good. I'll have rough video up shortly for those with the url.

Between squat sets I did standing hammer curls with a bunch on the skinny DBs to avoid boredom. I'm not someone you want bored.

No idea how long it took. Maybe a little over an hour. Too long, no matter what -- tough to get all of that in inside 50 minutes. But I'm determined to get my mind wrapped around my quad(s) in a productive way. We'll see if I can do it and not overtrain. I'm feeling a bit worn out 30 minutes later, I have to admit.

Wife comes back tomorrow and I can't wait. Haven't shaved in several days -- gotta fix that first. That and hide all the chocolate chip cookies I made, which are several kinds of awesome.

Hope everyone reorients to the real world smoothly this week. Take care of yourselves and those for whom you're responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment