Saturday, December 11, 2010

Squat day, 3 rep

Yeah, I waited a week. I tweaked something in my right shoulder benching last session -- feel like I may have torn something, though I pass the rotator cuff tear test. No click just past parallel. Something's not right, though.

So I carried my paranoia with me all week. My left quad hurt like a bastard all the time, despite frequent massage on the scar. No position could be held for long before spasm would start.

After today's training, a couple of things come to mind:

1. I probably need to use it more, because I feel better after training it
2. I still love squat day

Enough of the self-indulgent drivel.

Beautiful day today. Bluebird skies, very warm. Ran the heater in the rumpus room to make sure I sweat like a pig. Mission accomplished. Felt like high school wrestling practice.

I used At Large Results and the Shelby protocol, and I added AtLarge BCAA+. Honestly, the BCAA+ tastes fantastic. Go figure. Wore loose briefs, a belt for the heavier sets, and knee sleeves.

I did a lot of dynamic work and some bar work to warm up, but I got into the weight pretty quickly.

Squat, 3 reps
265kg x 3 not bad
285kg x 3 not bad
305kg x 3 still not bad. Didn't do extras because I was thinking too much about my quad and forgot.

I didn't do Big but Boring because of wanting to mix up quad-specific exercises. I think ballistic lifting is what hurt me last time, frankly. So I moved to:

Step-ups to a 24" platform
Held 40kg DBs in each hand and did three sets of 10 reps (each leg) until I thought I'd suck all the flies in the room into my lungs.

Supersetted the step-ups with:

Low fly using super-duper bands 3x10 and
Hammer curls with big, big, skinny DBs

I'm flippin' huge. Never been this big, though I have weighed more. Body fat is still below 10%, looking rather vascular, and looking big. Works for me.

It was a big week at the office this week -- toughest I've had in a while, though everything went quite well. Big week. So a day like today on the weight feels really, really good. I needed this, particularly after my last squat day.

Hope everyone has a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment