Friday, November 26, 2010

Squat day, 5 rep

Late in the day, the sun is almost entirely gone. Dusk. I love this time of day, though I wish it didn't come at 4:52.

Beautiful day today. Bluebird skies, warm but still Fall-like. Great.

I love squat days, historically. Lately, I fear them, as my quad tear scar still hurts pretty much all the time. Makes me paranoid.

I used At Large Results and the Shelby protocol. Wore loose briefs, a belt for the heavier sets, and knee sleeves.

I did a lot of dynamic work and some bar work to warm up, but I got into the weight pretty quickly -- my lubbage jumps were large.

Squat, 5 reps
225kg x 5 no sweat
265kg x 5 not bad
265kg x 5 wussed and left the weight alone
155kg x 5 x 10

Here's where it gets ugly. First and second sets were smooth and easy. Even fast, maybe.

But in the middle of the third set, I felt like someone drove a screwdriver into my left quad right around the scar. Not sure if this was knee pain from doing something odd (like 600 pound walkouts), or more quad damage. But I wasn't taking any chances, so I called the whole thing and walked out. I have had a couple of pretty strong twinges since, so it's not just in my head.

I'm gonna ice it a little, shower, and ice it some more. And eat leftovers and drink bourbon all night. Sounds like a plan.

Nuts.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment