Sunday, February 26, 2012

training 2.26 week 8

I was out of town in Vegas at a convention until Thursday and my wife has been out in DC, returning today.  Sometime tomorrow things might return to normal.

Got in some solid training today, which I needed.  Sorry it's been so long since I reported; I couldn't train in Vegas anyway, as there was no time.

I'll refrain from editorializing on Vegas too much except to say it's an abomination.  Sorry if some of you love it -- I'm not with you on that one.  To top it off, it would seem everyone there smokes.  I returned literally smelling like an ashtray, having to air out everything I took (including the valise) even before cleaning.  Nuts.

Big Mike is on vacation with his wife this past week (knowing my luck, in Vegas.  Sorry, Mike.) and so all the lifts have been comp lifts X3, no fatigue sets.  In order to get my sorry ass back into it in anger, I did vastly more warm-up sets than required (or than I would if I were trying for big numbers.)  I wanted the work.

Started with a little dynamic work and a real ton of weight work.  And lots of water.

Bench, sets of 3 to 80%: got up to 240kg.  Felt okay, though my right shoulder ached a bit.  No direct pain -- nothing sharp, anyway -- but achy.  Fine.

Squat, same:   Box-squatted from below parallel with a complete hip release before rising until I got to 265kg and then squatted wide to 330kg.  Felt good, though heavy; my torso felt like I was compressing badly.  Likely just a set-up/breathing issue -- probably wasn't tight enough before getting started, or at least that's what has proven to be the case in the past when I felt this way this far below my max.

DL, same: from a 2" deficit, though that wasn't called for in the plan.  Just felt like it.  Got about 70% before I called it, mostly because of tenderness in low-back after squatting.  No problem, just being careful after being off for a little while.  I don't do well with total (read:idle) deloads; I need to keep moving some weight, even if it's light and kills me to do it.  The mental cost of starting over is too great for my weak mind.

Is it possible to eat at least somewhat normally while on the road?  I need to work on that, as my wife is quite good at staying on diet while traveling.  I had an entire day I didn't eat or drink, really.  Gotta love massive caloric deficits, and I literally went 13 hours without peeing (yeah, TMI... sorry).  That's just not okay.  I did better from that point forward, but I can't let that happen again.  I welcome ideas, particularly for high-protein traveling meals.

Between sets and movements today I did accessory work.  Yep, I did extra -- color me bad.  I did a bunch of fly sets, reverse rows, and push presses with chains on the handles (no links on the floor.)  Sue me.

Hope everyone has a great week.  Start at the new office (started the new gig in Vegas) tomorrow -- should be interesting, particularly seeing new office dynamics.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment