Thursday, February 3, 2011

Military press, 5/3/1 day, smolov week 3 day 1

Got home early today to lift. Seriously needed it -- this has been a tough week at work. So it goes.

Gorgeous cool day here, though downright balmy compared to what most of you are fighting. Cool here is high 60s and breezy.

Started with Results and MGPM. Need to order more of the Powdered Muscle and some malto from True Protein. Love those guys. They'll have it to me tomorrow. Helps when they're just up the road in San Marcos, but hey, it's a poor dealer can't deal himself the best hand.

Did a fair amount of dynamic work to warm up and a fair amount of bar work. And then I set to it.

Had the heater on in the rumpus room and the fluorescent work light.

Military Press
140kg 5 reps, super easy
155 kg 3 reps, too easy still
165kg got 14 reps.

Seat is still 85 degrees.

I thought it'd be enough of a jump after last week, but I had several things going for me. For one thing, this was the first time for military under the Free Spotter, so I didn't have any adjustments to make for liftoff. No extra arching, no worrying about banging my hand on j-hooks, nothing but lifting. Makes a huge difference. Huge. Also, it meant I could use any path I wanted and leave my hands extra wide if I needed to. Love that thing. Pics posted below.

Chins

the usual way -- all my chains, three sets until failure. Don't care how I get them, honestly.

Squat
265kg 4 sets of 9 reps. Honestly, pretty easy. Need to run the weight up, but that's what this week is all about, so I need to stay patient. Weight came up smoothly and easily. At the end, I was feeling my hips in a big way.

Alright, let's see how you post pics. (As the image to the left clearly demonstrates, guys are dangerous with a camera.)

So the next image shows the cams that clamp the rope. Other pics will show how the rope hangs from the rack, the back of the plate, a shot taken while I was warming up for military press (140kg at that point, if I remember correctly).















Make sense?















































2 comments:

  1. HOLY SMOLOV! That's quite a set-up! Are you happy with how the free spotter works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted. Honestly, it works remarkably well, and you could hang the ropes from just about anything. I'm ready to be an ad for the guy. I'll get the dumbbell version before too long, as tip-ups for 100+ pound DBs is really hard on my shoulders. Love this thing.

    ReplyDelete