Saturday, May 26, 2012

training 5.26.2012

Rained yesterday, which is something in SD.  That just means it sprinkled for about 30 minutes.  Cool day today, which is about as unusual as the 90s everyone else is getting.  Come see me.

Started with the B-Ala/creatine mix, and hungry.  Used simple water during.  Started with dynamic shoulder work to warm up and the requisite bar work.

Pin press -5cm x2x8 + -5%: 80% of most recent 1RM, one fatigue set
Pin press -0 x2@8 + -5%: about the same
Incline x6@9 + -5%: reached 165kg and shoulders were barking badly, so backed off
Did a bunch of flat DB with my fat DBs (2"), felt my anterior deltoids and fried my triceps.

DL x4@8.5 + -5%: reached 93% of 1RM, stopped at 1 fatigue set when I likely had another
SSB squat x2@8 + -5%: backed off weight and went ATG with a narrow stance; brutal, lots of sets

Lunges x4@9 + -5%: cramp city, sucking wind.  I will do some of these on an assistance day.

Used the Free-spotter fat DBs for the DB work and loved them.  Going to move them out of the rack and hang them from a beam in the rumpus room, as there's just too much going on in the rack.  Running into crap with a ton of weight shouldered is not okay -- too weak-minded to ignore it, I guess.

Hips and legs are doing great, shoulders are unhappy but okay.  I'll rehab the shoulders a bit now that baseball is on brief hiatus, and they will be fine.

Putting on the Jack briefs the other day made a couple of things very clear: the biggest obstacle is getting them over the hips (as in the bulk is still around my knees while I'm trying to get the opening at the legs around my hips), and my legs are much, much larger up around the hips, glutes, and adductors than down around the knees.  Freakishly different. 

So I did the ATG squats today (and will continue to outside the protocol) to try to grow my quads a bit.  I won't sacrifice what I have and will continue to do whatever Big Mike tells me to do.  But I'm going to add some ATG squats and maybe hacks to try to grow the teardrops.  Part of me wonders if this imbalance (?) didn't contribute to my quad tear nearly two years ago.  Once I start to wonder, I must either address the issue or answer the question or risk trouble.

Net/net is that I'm utterly blasted.  My quads are toast and I think I'll go vomit.

I will take pictures of the Free-spotter DBs once I rehang them.  Well worth the dosh, in my opinion, and Sherm is great to work with.

The boy took a big tumble in big surf yesterday.  Upshot was that he took a bunch of skin off his face right next to his right eye (decent raspberry) and the leash wrapped around his neck and burned him pretty well.  Looks like he escaped a noose.  No real damage, but it unnerved him badly.  Of course today he's fine -- no big deal.  Wish I were so resilient.

Enough blathering for now.  Thanks. 

Everyone have a great, safe Memorial Day weekend.  Special thanks to all we remember.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment