Monday, January 10, 2011

Bench day, 5 rep + smolov day 4

It's rather cool here, which means it's in the 60s. My parents in the Southeast are in the middle of an ice storm, so I have nothing to complain about. The skies are bluebird. Gorgeous.

Big day today. Knocked off a little early so I could get the training in. I was a little intimidated, as Smolov day 4 is heavy and a lot of sets.

Started with Results, Shelby mix, MGPM, a fair amount of dynamic work, and some bar work.

I wore neoprene wrist supports for bench and loose briefs and knee sleeves for the squatting. I also added the EFS leather belt for the primary work sets.

Bench
185kg x 5 reps easy
210kg x 5 reps not bad
220kg x 5 reps felt pretty heavy for some reason

I'll never understand how week to week the perceived effort changes for me. These felt heavy, though they went up ok. Didn't break any blood vessels, no shoulder pain, nothing odd. Just heavy.

Squat
295kg x 10 sets of 3 reps

Walkouts at this weight just suck. Sorry to whine, but they suck. I make them about four inches to clear the hooks at this point and I still hate them. Went to the hole very slowly every rep and came up fast. The weight moved fine -- could have lifted a bit more. Quad felt good, though my left knee isn't always happy. I think in all this quad business I tweaked something in that knee that I'll have to deal with someday.

While I'm whining, ten sets is kinda boring. I alternated some oblique work using suitcase lifts with a light, high-rep fly just to do something else while I caught my breath.

This is the end of week one for Smolov -- week three is gonna kill me. Either that quad will tear or I'll venture into PR land. I'm feeling good about the latter at this point.

Hope everyone has a great evening, and War Eagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment